How Toronto Business Lawyers Can Assist You
Whether you are involved in a start-up or are the head of a large corporation, you can benefit from having Toronto business lawyers from Bykov Law in your corner. We offer highly personalized services to our business clients—individualized attention and knowledgeable assistance. As experienced business advisors, Bykov Law helps our clients in all matters related to business law. Bykov Law has deep expertise in handling all aspects of corporate and commercial transactions, from assisting with routine matters to handling complex issues. We are well versed in assisting our clients with business formation, maintenance and changes, operations, compliance, corporate governance, exit-sale or dissolution, commercial contracts and employment agreements, confidentiality agreements, partnership and shareholder agreements, loan agreements, promissory notes, debt and equity financing, corporate reorganizations, investment funds and asset management, private equity and venture capital funds and investments, and everything in between.
At Bykov Law, we offer an unrelenting focus on delivering value-added, strategic business and legal advice, in addition to our thorough understanding of the business and regulatory environment in which our clients operate. We are aware of the business responsibilities under relevant provincial and federal legislation. With an in-depth knowledge of business law, your business will significantly benefit from our experience. Businesses are always changing, but the need to be served by trusted, long-term advisors is a constant. Our lawyers at Bykov Law are proud to serve this role for our clients, including established Canadian and international companies, financial institutions, start-ups, growth-oriented companies, and other capital market participants. Our goal is to thoroughly understand our client’s business objectives so we can help them get where they want to go.
Business Formation, Organization, and Changes
Whether you are forming a new business, considering the organization of your business, or making changes to your existing business, our Toronto business lawyers can help. Having a strong legal advocate when forming your business is crucial. The decisions you make at this stage will have an impact on your business’s trajectory and stability. Whether you are launching a sole proprietorship, a corporation, a partnership, or an unincorporated association, our experienced team will map out a plan that best serves your needs, helping you determine the best structure for your business.
Business Operations needing Toronto Business Lawyers
Bykov Law can provide counsel regarding the day-to-day operations of your business, ensuring you are properly compliant with all industry regulations. Bykov Law can also assist you in creating and maintaining corporate minute books and reviewing all the contracts you need to operate your business. If your business is relocating, expanding internationally, or making any type of major transition, we can help you through the process.
Contracts and Commercial Agreements
- Employment Agreements—Employers and employees in Toronto are strongly advised to have a well-drafted employment contract in place at the time of a new employee joining a company. Employment agreements could be for permanent employment, temporary employment, or for independent contractors.
- Consulting Contracts—An independent consulting contract is a legally binding agreement between a business and a worker who will provide the business with services but will not be hired as a “regular” employee. A consultant is responsible for their own expenses involved in providing the services as well as remitting taxes on income received. A consulting contract can help both parties understand what is required.
- Supply Agreements—A Supply Agreement is a contract between a product supplier and a product distributor that is legally binding. Suppliers selling their products to a distributor can be a much better option than selling them directly, as many suppliers do not have the capacity or the means to sell their products on their own.
- Management Contracts—A management contract is an arrangement under which operational control of an enterprise is vested by contract in a separate enterprise. This separate enterprise performs the necessary managerial functions in return for a fee.
- Confidentiality Agreements—Confidentiality agreements are especially important when it comes to sensitive business information. A business may want to protect an invention through the patent system. When two parties are considering doing business with one another, a confidentiality agreement can protect both parties. Confidentiality agreements are the only solid way to protect ideas and intellectual property.
- Promissory Notes —A promissory note is a legal document where one party makes an unconditional promise to pay a certain sum of money to the other party. A promissory note can be made payable on demand, at a specific period of time, or upon an event that is certain to occur. In Canada, promissory notes are governed by the federal Bills of Exchange Act. Typically, promissory notes are used in connection with short-term financing and business loans. They are usually unsecured. For the note to be legally valid, the note must be signed by the borrower and must include language that clearly shows the borrower promises to pay a defined amount.
- Loan Agreements —A loan agreement is an agreement between a lender and a borrower, whereby the lender promises to loan money and the borrower promises to pay it back. The business loan agreement is a contract that is often required under a variety of circumstances, such as starting a business, buying a building, buying equipment, or buying products to build an inventory to sell. It specifies the amount of the loan, the rate of interest, terms of repayment, and payment dates so that both the borrower and lender have a clear outline of the terms of the loan. It is advisable to have a business lawyer review the agreement to ensure that all specific covenants and guarantees are included that will protect you.
We are dedicated to obtaining the best possible results for our clients. To this end, we relentlessly pursue excellence in both written and oral advocacy. We have extensive experience before all levels of the courts and administrative tribunals in the province of Ontario. We excel at providing strategic advice and representation during business litigation.
When a business dispute is not dealt with quickly, the resulting long-term, adverse effects on your reputation can damage your business. At Bykov Law in Toronto, we have in-depth experience across a wide span of businesses and industries. This experience allows us to understand your business and your business needs, as well as the current dispute or litigation issue. You need lawyers who are skilled at negotiation, litigation, and alternative dispute resolution. We offer all of these services, which allows us to obtain quick and effective, yet equitable remedies, promptly resolving your business litigation matter.
Purchase and Sale of a Business
Whether you are purchasing a new business or selling your existing business, you are facing one of the most significant times in your role as a business owner. Our lawyers provide all parties to the transaction with informed legal advice. We believe this will help you achieve your business purchase or sale goals. All too often, business owners wait much too long to make difficult decisions regarding a business purchase or sale. To receive the full value of your business, it is important that you do not wait until the last minute to develop a plan that secures the full value of your business. Our knowledgeable business lawyers will help you lay the groundwork for a successful business purchase or sale.
Equity and Debt Financing Transactions
Our lawyers have significant experience in debt financing transactions for your business. We represent business owners in structured finance and securitization transactions like commercial mortgage loans as well as many other types of equity and debt financing transactions. Debt management can help your business grow by allowing you to obtain the necessary funding. At the same time, you can reduce borrowing costs and contain your financial risks. All businesses need to develop debt management strategies to be successful, and Bykov Law can help you achieve those strategies.
Secured Lending and Borrowing Transactions
You may have grown your business into a successful endeavor, but are looking to manage cash flow differently or grow your business. Perhaps your lending institution is not comfortable taking a credit risk of the size you are proposing. If this is the case, you might want to consider involving a third party to ensure your transaction closes. The skilled Toronto business lawyer at Bykov Law has represented guarantors, borrowers, and lenders in many different types of single loans or multiple facility transactions. We always keep our client’s needs front and center, while balancing the competing interests of all parties involved.
Going through lending and borrowing transactions often means entering into complex arrangements with banks, investors, government agencies, partners, and others. Obtaining financing is often the most challenging aspect of starting or growing a business. The key to minimizing risk and maximizing control is to consult with an experienced business lawyer to develop a strong business plan and well-drafted agreements with the various stakeholders. Our well-informed and skilled business lawyers can help you with that.
How Toronto Business Lawyers at Bykov Law Can Help
Bykov Law in Toronto helps established and growing businesses protect themselves and their assets. The skilled business lawyers at Bykov Law ensure each client understands his or her rights, help them identify and mitigate risk, and assist them in planning proactively for the future.
At Bykov Law, we measure our success in terms of client satisfaction. We have extensive experience in all aspects of business law in the Toronto area. Whether you are a small business owner or a corporate client, we will work exhaustively to solve your business issues. Toronto business lawyers strive to help you succeed in your business with the least amount of stress possible. We will ensure that you do not lose sight of the focus on growing your business as we take care of your legal issues. Contact Bykov Law today for your business needs.